Tuesday, September 15, 2009


Here is our little crab on the eve of his 9 week birthdayversary, looking cute as ever, completely hiding the fact that he'd been a fussy wiggler all afternoon. He had a nice night of sleeping and nursing and was well rested and fed and clean and happy by early afternoon, so I tucked him into his navy blue moby wrap (this little thing is indispensable, so we purchased another, should one be in the wash) and headed over to meet up with those new mamas in mccarren park, once again. I fear that they may now start packing up when they see us coming as Alden, sad as I am to admit it, is definitely the crank of the group. I'd not yet finished removing him from the moby when he set to wailing, setting off several of the other babes who had previously been napping and allowing the mamas to engage in a group discussion, the subject of which I'll never know because I had to bounce him away a bit to try to settle him. Woah, was that a sentence? Well, nevermind. I am one worn out mama. Sentence structure be damned.

We lasted maybe twenty minutes, which is better than nothing. Regardless of his crabbiness, it feels really good to get out of the apartment with little bunny boy. Yesterday we went over to Williamsburg (where else would we go?) because they were spraying the other apartments for roaches. So we met up with Kathryn and Alden made his dissent known via protest while we ate bagels, looked at shoes and attempted grown-up conversation. Both yesterday and today, when we got home and all cleaned up, Alden charmed me silly with his endearing and intense babble. It's clear that he's trying to tell me something of utmost importance, probably explaining why he behaved as he did. We'll just have to wait and see how these words form themselves, i suppose. I suspect that he's just a home body, trying to tell me to stop forcing him to go on "adventures" and that he'd prefer to take his meals on the couch or in bed, and not under some Godforsakentreethankyouverymuch. Hopefully we can change his mind by continuing to get out a little every day. Lord if he doesn't make it something to dread...

1 comment:

  1. aww, valerie, i'm sorry to hear that alden is a fellow crab.

    maybe he's feeling overstimulated outside? when leon was around 2-3 months, he really started to hate being at home. apparently i'm boring?

    but seriously, all that fussing would stop as soon as he went outside and interacted with people. now he's more clingy and wants to stay in his carrier facing me. facing out can be too stimulating for him, especially because he can't hide from all the sounds and movement. that's probably why he goes into a catatonic state when in the stroller.

    just tell him that leon says that he should enjoy the outdoors while he can. boy oh boy is it boring to be cooped up inside all winter!

    ReplyDelete