so we just spent the past hour trying to take a nap without using the moby wrap. that was perhaps the longest hour of my life.
does it count as "cry it out" if you are actually holding or patting the baby, but not giving him the thing you know will definitely do the trick? i feel incredibly guilty. and also a little hurt, though i know that's stupid.
it seems like most of the babies i know are comforted by nursing and will accept a snack whenever it's offered. alden will scream at me like i'm trying to poison him if i offer the breast when he's tired or cranky. neither was he comforted by my holding him or shushing him or patting him.
the only thing that works is the damned moby wrap. i think he thinks it's his mother. i'm just a moby flagpole. some days i think it might be best to have a pouch surgically grafted onto my chest to save me the trouble of tying and untying the moby. maybe this is the result of having had labor induced. he wasn't ready to come out and now he's scarred for life and will never sleep properly.
i know this is all ridiculous, crazy talk. i'm just venting. it doesn't help to have random strangers try to give me pointers or chide me for bouncing him, which happened in the doctor's office yesterday.
oh yes. 16 lbs, 5 oz. 26 inches long. still no vaccinations. oh, and he was tired, so he screamed at dr. gidfar. this was the first appointment that she didn't ooh and ahh over his beauty. actually, she seemed really irritated by him. can't say that i blame her necessarily, but after waiting wayyy too long in that horrid waiting room, it was enough to make me want to scope out a new pediatrician.
gosh i'm cranky. maybe alden will let me nap with him.
Yikes! Sounds like a bad day. Hope it goes better. I have a moby wrap and I can't figure out how to use the damn thing.
ReplyDeletebounce bounce bounce. sometimes when i get tired of nursing (because at some point there isn't much left in there and it feels really irritating), i pop leon in the kanga (like an ergo) and bounce. i've chatted with friends at a cafe while bouncing him for an hour. sitting = waking.
ReplyDeletei don't think it's bad for them to cry in your arms. sometimes i get so annoyed that i forget to whisper things like 'shhh, it's ok, mama's here.' sometimes i stand in stony silence, biting my lip and thinking dark unhappy thoughts. but, i do think he can sense my negative energy, so i force myself to smile until i feel better. i sing, too.
sleep deprivation is a serious problem. i'm off for a jog now. i've been feeling down about myself, but exercise usually helps. don't feel bad. take a nap and embrace the moby. you're in the trenches, do whatever gets you to the other side. and then re-group.
we'll be at the corwin studio sale, but maybe we could schedule a playdate, too?
jessica! i am actually a firm believer in the powers of the moby and have given many impromptu tutorials on how to tie it on and get the baby in. i think there's a pretty good one on youtube, now that i think of it:
ReplyDeletehttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CamfWi0cEU8
erica, ha! oh, yes. i know this stony silence. it's so bad, but sometimes the words aren't working and what else can you do??
it's so great that you go jogging. i've never been an exerciser, but maybe it's time to take it up. i do have some high waisted loomstates sitting lonely on my shelf, just waiting for me.
oh! and yes yes. maybe we could meet at the sale and then go get brunch or something?
the jogging has been curtailed by heart palpitations. they're probably nothing, but i'm spooked. so i guess i'll have to do more yoga and pilates to make up the difference. i'm a total grouch if i don't exercise, probably because i spend my days hunched over the laptop.
ReplyDeletebrunch or tea after the sale would be great! i am planning on getting there right before 1pm.
Stoney silence is better than cursing at your child! I admit to using the 'b' word under my breath in relation to Audrey . I have to keep reminding myself that her emotions are genuine and not some sort of ploy to drive me demented. I really hope I'm not sounding like one of those annoying waiting-room women, but do you swaddle? I didn't much with Lucy (my first), but I got the hang of it with Audrey and it made such a difference (so much so I only stopped swaddling her at 7+ months).
ReplyDeleteThings change fast too. My Dad says to me often 'my mother used to tell me that this too shall pass, it's just a phase'.
About a day after I said I could not figure out my Moby I tried it AGAIN. And I got the kid in! I'm off to watch that YouTube video, thanks!
ReplyDelete